Monday 26 March 2012

Indian Feast!

I had my brother, sister, and one of their friends over for dinner the other night, and made it Indian Themed. We had so much fun, and realized how fascinating Indian food could be! 

The menu:
Samosas
Vegetable Korma
White and Brown Rice
Naan Bread
Sweet Rice Cake
Masala Chai

Vegetable Korma is one of my favorite curries so far (curry is very accommodating to the Daniel Fast)… it is so creamy and flavorful, you’d swear it was unhealthy! If I can’t have Butter Chicken, this may be the next best thing. Heck, I may even make it when I’m NOT fasting!
I substituted Coconut Milk (NOT low-fat) for the cream, and I think the recipe was all the better for it!







The Chai and the Sweet Rice Cake are from the cook book “Simply Indian” by Tahera Rawji.

The Sweet Rice Cake was baffling. The entire time I was preparing it I was convinced it wouldn't work out. I had never seen anything cooked in this way before! Of course I needn’t have worried - it turned out fine. But if you ever want to try something new as far as cooking techniques go, try this rice cake!



I still don't know how this made a cake. No eggs, no flour... yet it baked!

1 1/2 cups Basmati Rice (washed and soaked overnight, or 5-6 hours)
1 1/4 cups coconut milk (NOT low-fat)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. instant yeast
1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cardamom seeds (crushed)
1 Tbsp. ghee or butter
1) Drain and rinse the rice and blend in a blender with the coconut milk, milk, water, yeast, and butter until it's smooth (this could take awhile!). Preheat the oven broiler.
2) Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Gently stir in the sugar and cardamom. Cover and leave in a warm place to rise ("bubble" is more like it) for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
3) Put the butter or ghee in a frying pan on high heat. When it is hot, lower the heat to medium and pour in the mixture. Cook on low heat for 15 minutes until it is set and the sides are golden.
4) Place the frying pan under the broiler for a few minutes until the top becomes golden/reddish brown.
6) Cool and cut.
Makes 8 generous portions


No comments:

Post a Comment